Skip to content

Cityclean strike suspended after concessions

November 10, 2009

Brighton and Hove bin strikes could be ended todayFrom The Argus:

The binmen strike in Brighton and Hove has been suspended for 28 days. Cityclean workers and union bosses today met Brighton and Hove City Council officials at the Hollingdean depot.

Workers told The Argus the two-week strike had been suspended, but they would not comment further. The Argus has been told that the deal will mean that Cityclean workers are classed as skilled, meaning most staff will be on the same wages, with some even possibly getting more.

It is believed that 97% of staff will see their dispute resolved in this way. Talks will continue to try to reach a solution for the remaining 3%. If no agreement can be reached, it is likely staff will go on strike again after 28 days.

GMB official Mark Turner said: “After only two days of all-out industrial action the streets of Brighton were piled high with rubbish and the council found itself under increasing pressure from residents to resolve the dispute. Negotiations have moved in the right direction which meant we were in a position to be able to put the renewed offer to the members. The support from the public has been phenomenal and clearly shows that the people of Brighton are on the side of GMB members in this dispute.”

From the Argus:

The binmen strike in Brighton and Hove has been suspended for 28 days.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: